Service to the Humanity is our Motto
We continue to serve our Brothers and Sisters and our services are briefly set out below
BUILDINGS AND INFRASTRUCTURE FACILITIES
- On the land of 38 perches leased by the Government of Sri Lanka through U.D.A. at Sir Chittampalam A. Gardiner Mawatha, Colombo 2 we have constructed our Head Quarters Building (with the Basement and 5 floors thereon) and established a Shrine and our office in the 5th floor thereof and leased the balance areas to AIA Insurance PLC. The lease income derived there from is being used since 1996 for strengthening our assistance and rendering our welfare services. We gratefully acknowledge large contributions made by five families and others and also the advance payment of rent made by AIA Insurance PLC and its predecessors.
- We have on a 2.7 lachams land at Nallur (donated by Mrs. V. Perampalam) constructed a three storeyed building funded from the income of our Headquarters Building. We have established a Hindu Research Centre and Library with facilities to train and educate young people.
- Built SIVAPOOMI Madam at Keerimalai with the assistance of well wishers on 30th March 2014
- We have assisted Vavuniya ‘Sinthamani Pillaiyar’ Kovil by meeting a part of the construction of the ‘madam’.
- We have assisted Batticaloa Y.M.H.A. by partly funding for the construction of its Elders Home and also assisting its Library
- A part of the construction of the building of Alayadivempu Hindu Mamantram in Ampara District was also met by us
- Partly funded construction of Sankamankandy Murugan Kovil at Thirukovil Division
- Plans are ready for construction of a Madam at Shri KetharaGowriUdanuraiKetheeswara Peruman Kovil (Thiruketheeswaram) in Mannar District.
- Assisted Colombo YWHA in installation of a lift for their Elders Home and also advanced monies to Colombo Vivehananda Society for its new building
- Funded construction of Rajakopuram (Thirukkopuram) of Gnana Vairavar Kovil in Mannar.
- Built the New Building for Nallur Aatheenam monitored by ACHC with the funding by Hindus of London and contributed the shortfall in the costs of construction.
- We have assisted Ampari District Thirunavukkarasu Nayanar Kurugulam Aadheenam at Thirukkovil Division to construct new building.
- Planning to construct a Regional Office for Vanni in Thirumurikandy on a land leased by the Government to ACHC
- Assisted to put up 10 houses, wells and lavatories to 10 families who are refugees of Thalaimannar when they returned to their native place, Thalaimannar.
HOSPITAL AND ASSISTANCE TO CHILDREN’S HOMES AND ELDERS HOME
While assisting a number of Children’s Homes and Elders Homes island wide in which area the Manitha Nayam Trust assists us by substantially making financial contributions, we manage a Children’s Hostel for needy children of Colombo Hindu College in Ratmalana and we have acquired land on 110 perches and buildings next to the school. If you wish to sponsor a meal for these students who are 150 in number, you can send donations as indicated below:
Breakfast Rs. 15,000.00 (Special Breakfast Rs. 20,000.00)
Lunch Rs. 20,000.00 (Special Lunch Rs. 25,000.00)
Dinner Rs. 20,000.00 (Special Dinner Rs. 25,000.00)
Morning or Evening Tea Rs. 6,000.00
Monthly Birthday celebrations for all children born in that month.
Whenever our brothers and sisters were affected by the war situation or calamities like Tsunami or floods we were there to help them by way of various relief assistance and services, and you are welcome to contribute to our DISASTER RELIEF FUND.
When these people were badly affected and suffering the first matter which attracted our attention was the necessity to look after our children affected by the war conditions. There were some children who did not know where their parents were. Those children did not have birth certificates and school leaving certificates and we had to seek the assistance of Dentists and get their age assessed. Having played an active role (with Hindu Educational Society and with the others) in getting back Colombo Hindu College in Ratmalana for our Hindu Children, we established a Hostel in 1998 for needy children. We purchased a part of the adjoining building of Hindu Educational Society and taken the balance portion of that building on licence extended the Hostel Manitha Neyam Trust the establishment of which was also established by us has made substantial contributions to that development.
We are also helping Children’s Homes in other parts of the Island. You are WELCOME to SUPPORT OUR HOSTEL and EDUCATION FUND. If you wish to join in that noble service please write to us.
Whenever the need arose for medical assistance we were extending a helping hand. Several people have been benefitted by the same. Two good examples are the financial assistance to a young girl of 6 years from Jaffna in 2006 to successfully undergo surgery hole in the heart. She is now a student in year 17 and has professed well in her studies. We continue to assist her. Another girl of 14 years from Vanni was given financial assistance for her heart operation. If you wish you can give your substantial assistance to our MEDICAL FUND.
HINDU YOUTH :
ACHC (while having acknowledged and supported homes for needy children and elders affected by consequences of the war and the military action) is also concentrating on addressing the issues affecting our youth. When more than 275 students of the University of Jaffna arrived from Vanni in 2009 and were stranded without any family support, we immediately extended the monthly financial assistance with the help of Manitha Neyam and the Trustees of London Kanagathurkai Amman Kovil. This was publicly acknowledged by the then Vice Chancellor of the University of Jaffna. Subsequently, we arranged to donate desk top computers and laptops to the undergraduates of the University of Jaffna and also to the Eastern University. One of our Member Associations observed its diamond jubilee by donating 60 computers to these undergraduates. This project is continuing as a part of our programme to commemorate our diamond jubilee. We are arranging to donate Laptops to undergraduates of the University of Jaffna. We evaluate the requests received from our youth from time to time and assist them as a part of our social welfare service.
KNOWLEDGE BASED PROJECTS :
We have been publishing a number of Hindu Religious Books in Tamil and English. We have published in Tamil a Hand Book for Hindus for which we have spontaneous reception from a number of our brothers and sisters abroad. We do not claim copyright to that publication. Hence, large number of copies are being reprinted to commemorate their elders by Hindu families abroad. An English version of this Hand Book is ready to be published this year. In view of the urgent need to satisfy the requirements of our younger generation abroad who cannot read Tamil we have taken this step. Please visit our website and some of our books which already appear as E Books on our website www.hinducongress.lk. We have now opened a face book (viz all Ceylon hindu congress)
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON OUR WEBSITE
We propose to establish a facility to obtain answers from Members of our Advisory Committees and provide answers to any questions or doubts posed to ACHC on e-mail in English or Tamil.
(NOTE: This may not be comprehensive statement of our services. We hope to update this soon)
Kandiah Neelakandan M. Kathiragamanathan
President General Secretary